The Computer Science department at Boston College invites applications for a postdoctoral position in visualization and human-computer interaction. The candidate will be sponsored by and work under the supervision of Dr. Nam Wook Kim. The candidate will be responsible for establishing their own research agenda and conducting original research on topic areas that are agreed upon by the candidate and the supervisor. Example topic areas include but are not limited to:
- Systems and techniques for data-driven, explorable explanations
- Intelligent and collaborative support for data exploration and communication
- Perception & cognition principles for data storytelling
- Multimodal interaction (Pen+Touch/AR/VR) for immersive data experiences
- Inclusive/accessible visual data communications
- Visualization applications for creativity, social computing, civic engagement, etc
The candidate is expected to publish at top venues in visualization and human-computer interaction, such as VIS, CHI, UIST, and CSCW. The candidate may also be invited to supervise research projects led by undergraduates and help with grant applications. Teaching is not required unless requested by the candidate.
The position begins immediately upon the availability of the candidate. The position will be for one year, while renewable for additional years with budget and performance allowing.
The candidate should have a Ph.D. in Computer Science, Information Science, or a related field. Strong prior research records in visualization and human-computer interaction are desired. Depending on the type of research that the candidate will conduct as part of this position, one or more of the following technical skills are required:
- Prototyping and development skills (e.g., D3 and WebGL)
- Qualitative and quantitative research methods (e.g., contextual inquiry and empirical analysis)
- Applied machine learning (e.g., intelligent agents and recommendation systems)
How to Apply
Please submit the required materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The email should contain the words "Postdoc" and the candidate's "Name" in the subject line.
- Cover letter describing the candidate’s research interest and suitability for the position
- Curriculum vitae
- Contact information of two references
Compensation includes a competitive salary with additional funds for travel and research support, and a complete benefits plan.
Please forward any questions to Nam Wook Kim (Email: email@example.com)
Boston College is a tier-1 research university located in the Boston area, a historic place with a full of cultural and educational experiences (e.g., Boston Symphony Orchestra and Museum of Fine Arts). The Boston area has a strong visualization and human-computer interaction community consisting of a myriad of academic and industrial research institutions and tech companies such as Harvard, MIT, Tufts, Northeastern, UMass, Brown, WPI, IBM, and Adobe that is ideal for synergetic research collaborations as well as networking opportunities.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any legally protected category including disability and protected veteran status. To learn more about how BC supports diversity and inclusion throughout the university please visit the Office for Institutional Diversity at http://www.bc.edu/offices/diversity.